Translate

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Goodbye

I am extremely sad to report that due to increasing political turmoil and tensions in Kenya, including recent violence in the Eastern Kenya, we have been told by our AMPATH leadership that all short term visitors need to leave Eldoret out of recent safety concerns. I am currently safe and sound, and have made travel arrangements and will be leaving tomorrow morning.



I am terribly disappointed that my work here is unfinished, and that I have to leave this important work 6 weeks ahead of schedule. Our Kenyan Palliative Care team was in tears today over this news (including yours truly), and needless to say it is a bittersweet and early end. Even in these 2 short weeks I continue to love coming to Kenya and consider it a second home, especially based on all the love and support I get from my friends and colleague here. Thanks to you all who have followed along on my blog while I have been in country. I am hoping for safe travel back to my family this weekend. Asante Sana!


In honor of some of the amazing patients I have cared for in Eldoret at MTRH, I share their images (with their permission) to help spread the message about the ongoing desperate need for better access to palliative care in Kenya and Sub-Saharan Africa. It is due to this sort of political turmoil that we need to continue this mission to provide care, conduct research, and educate our colleagues the world over.

Kwa Heri!